Monday, April 13, 2009

Harry Kalas

We moved around quite while I was growing up. I was in 4 different elementary schools in 3 states by the time I was half way through the 5th grade. Half way through the 5th grade we moved to east central Pennsylvania and that is where we stayed until after I graduated when my family moved back to West Virginia. This was a special place. I embraced Christ as Savior during this time so I will always cherish my time there.

It was during this time that I was introduced to the voice of Phillies announcer Harry Kalas. It was great living there because our cable system carried channels that followed the Phillies, Mets, Yankees, and of course thanks to Ted Turner the Braves. I have been an Orioles fan since I was little but I love sports and loved baseball growing up. So I could watch any of these four teams but as I can't stand any New York teams I gravitated toward the Phillies and Braves more (mainly due to Mike Schmidt and Harry Kalas with the Phillies and Dale Murphy with the Braves).

I loved to listen to Kalas. His voice resonated through the television. It would do this as you listened to a Phillies game or if listening to a NFL films program. It would grab you and keep you there. I will never forget his legendary calls of home runs especially Mike Schmidt's 500th home run. I will also remember his call of Terry Mulholland's no hitter he trew as a member of the Phillies in 1990. I was never the biggest Phillies fan but loved Mike Schmidt and cried when he hit that ball for his 500th home run as I listened to Kalas make the call and then his comments followed Schmidt around the bases.

I will miss Hearing his voice as he died today before getting to call the Phillies game at the Nationals. Sounds funny to post something like this but his voice was one I grew up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment