Tuesday, February 10, 2009

To what do you give a Second Thought?

As I've stated beofre Jill and I are reading through the Bible in a Year and each day has a devotion related to something from the Scripture read that day. Here is a something that really jumped all over me during my quiet time yesterday (2/9):
"The Second Thought"
My son, pay attention to my words; listen closely to my sayings. Don't lose sight of them; keep them within your heart. - Prov.4:20-21
"To get the best out of life," said Pascal, "great matters have to be given a second thought." Meditation is just that - giving biblical truths a second thought. If you have been thinking that the best way to get the best out of the Bible is by reading it, studying it, or memorizing it, then I urge you to think again. I have found that the way to get the best our of the Bible is by meditating on it.
Reading, studying, and memorizing the Bible are, in the main, intellectual exercises which bring spiritual results. Meditation is not primarily an intellectual exercise but a devotional exercise, a way by which the Word of God is carried in to the spiritual digestive system so that it can be translated into spiritual nourishment and energy.

What is it you give a second thought to? Is it your family, your bills, or your health? All these are noble and are things that we should seek to glorify Him in yet His Truth must be what dominates your thoughts! I've been challenged of late in terms of my reading, studying, and especially memorizing God Word yet if they aren't used in meditation then they are a intellectual exercise. He deserves my second thought, along with my first, third, fourth...! May He challenge your heart as He has mine in this!

No comments:

Post a Comment