Saturday, February 28, 2009

Chloe's Surgery

This was a big week for us. Chloe had surgery on Thursday. This was our first surgery as parents. She had tubes placed in her ears, her adenoids out, and an allergy test. Throughout the week she did so well and on the day of the surgery I thought this might change but it was amazing how she handled everything - I was so proud of her!

On Thursday we arrived at WakeMed, which is the hospital where Jill works, and I received a call from my best friend, Steve, saying he was on the way. Steve is a Pastor in Fayetteville, NC about 90 minutes or so from us. This was a great surprise that we appreciated and Chloe loved. She loves her "Uncle Steve"!

Once we got back into the pre-op area Chloe got her gown and a bed. The gown was to small and she left her pants on because she said that she "didn't want her bootie or panties showing" - I was so proud of my modest little girl :). After getting a new gown and a warm blanket she for the first and only time showed some nervousness and started to cry. As she cried I took my hand and caressed her cheek, she then grabbed my hand and pulled me in and burrowed her head into my arm and shoulder. At this point I dropped to my knees and cried with her whispering in her ears that the Lord is in control and that I loved her. She then stopped crying and I did too and was fine throughout the rest of the day.

After receiving her "goofy shot", which did affect her, she started to act a little funny but not too bad. Dr. Holmes came in and we had a word of prayer with him and Chloe and then we waited unitl they took her back. After the surgery he came out and informed us that all went well, he was surprised by the amount of thick fluid he had to suck out but that other than that he was pleased.

In recovery she did really well. It didn't take long and we were ready to go home. On the way out I took a pic of her in her Mommy's arms at the front door before getting into the van. I will say that Jill didn't want me to do it but is now glad I did. Looking at this pic now brings a flood of emotions because it was just like the pic we took when we left the hospital with her - it's amazing how many thoughts can rush through your mind in a holy instant of blessing like that, she's only 5 but soo many instant pics flooded in! See our family blog and the pics - the link is on the left.

I was so thankful for the calls, texts, and for those who hit us up on facebook checking on Chloe! I was definitely thankful for the fact that Steve was there with us! But most of all I'm thankful for God's graciousness throughout this week and day! I praise Him for all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment