Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A thought on bigotry, the Oscars, and True Hope

I happened to catch a small protion of the Oscars and saw Sean Penn accept his Oscar. During his acceptance speech he "wagged his finger" and chastised all in California who voted against homosexual marriage along with any and all in our country that oppose it. I found it funny that for someone so "accepting" and "open" that his comments were the height of bigotry. For those on the left to through massive bombs of hatred and then call anyone with a differing opinion a bigot is quite hypocritical.

Two things on equal rights popped into my mind as I listened:
1) I fully support equal rights. For example, I would have marched in the 1960s during the Civil Rights Movement, if I were alive, side by side with African-Americans fighting for their rights. Yet, this is entirely different than espousing homosexual rights, one is an issue of God-given pigmentation while the other is of a self-made choice.
2) God's view of us all is the same. We are all sinners in need of a Savior. From the racist, to the homosexual, to the married father of three I am sin is sin and its an ugly, foul thing. Our need then is not for equality but for salvation. The answer to our need is found only in Christ.

In this time of division politically, racially, and over issues of choice unity is not found in us but in Him. True hope is hope in Him. The hope we find in Him is one that does not disappoint (Rom.5:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment