Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A thought on history

Watching the inaugeration today caused me to pause and take in what was taking place. To see an African-American President sworn in was quite amazing and to watch the faces of those in attendance, especially those of African-American Senior Citizens, captivated my heart. Thinking of what has happened in the midst of their lifetime socially was emotional. I will be praying for President Obama as he leads our country.

I was impressed by the place of this day socially and one other thing impressed me and that was the grace with which now former President Bush handled this transition of power. I remember when he came into office that former President Clinton's farewell seemed to be set to rival the inaugeration and in poor taste. This transition was one in which cooperation and grace was exhibited, even to his private farewell, and that impressed me.

I heard the word coronation used by a commentator over the past few days and this also caused me to pause but in a much different way. This word is one the should be used sparingly toward any man if used at all. There is a King and He will return. His death, burial, resurection, and ascension served as His Coronation. This King is Jesus!

In this time where ideology separates and harsh rhetoric destroys from the left and the right. May those who know the King serve Him passionately and may He have full reign in our hearts! May we take advantage of every opportunity to share Him with neighbors, friends, co-workers, and relatives! True unity is found only in Him! There is no issue of race or party in Him! I praise You King Jesus for this!

The closing prayer found in the devotion that follows my Scripture reading for the day yesterday is fitting to grant us the focus we need on such a momentous day: "O Father, how can I ever thank You that the work of salvation is complete? Nothing more needs to be done than has been done. Your Coronation spells it out in the clearest of terms. I am so deeply, deeply grateful. Amen." For true change to happen we must be changed by the King through the salvation He alone offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment