Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Holy Hip Hop

When I was in middle school I was introduced to rap music. I can remember running into the house and turning on the television to watch "Yo! MTV Raps" trying to do the Ed Lover Dance and watching all the videos. There was something about the music and the way that the lyrics were delivered always stirred me. I've always had this love for rap music (my wife can't stand this) though it's changed the years in terms of what I've listened to I still listen to it.

What started with Big Daddy Kane, Eric B. & Rakim, and others has changed now to christian artists such as G.R.I.T.S., Lecrae, & The Cross Movement. I must say that over the past 5 to 10 years christian hip hop has improved drastically. The lyrical content that is now coming from artists is theologically solid and relevant. It's exciting to see how God is using this form of music.

I state this to point out a blogpsot on the Desiring God Blog (see the link on the left) entitled "Holy Hip Hop" where Thabiti Anyabwile speaks of about hip hop in the new resurgence in black theology. It was quite interesting and I pray that you find it the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment