Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Phone Call, A Conversation, and a Few Thoughts

Sunday we were driving home from Jill's parents home and I received a phone call. The call was from one of my former youth in Sumter, SC. I had not heard from him since he graduated 5 years ago. I thought he had gone in to the service but it turns out that he had not. He had fallen out of fellowship with the Lord and had recently repented and been restored. It was amazing to hear of God's graciousness and the moving of the Spirit in his life. It was also amazing to hear that he is now 6'11'' tall! Our conversation lasted for about 15 minutes and it brought me to tears as he shared thoughts of God's use of Jill and I in his life - truly humbling! I'm so thankful that God grants calls like this one! This is the second such call this summer and through each God has stirred the affections of my heart toward Him in ways indescribable - He blows me away!

That brings me to today. I have been trying to meet up with Steve Wright all summer. He is a youth minister in Raleigh and has been there for over 11 years. He's been in youth ministry for over 20 years! He has started InQuest Ministries as well as having a great blog (see the link for The Lasting Divergence on the left). His books are well worth the read for anyone remotely considering or presently in youth work. We were able to meet up and go to lunch and talk, it was well worth the wait. He was a great encouragement and provided a wonderful challenge. Many of my thoughts on youth ministry are similar to his and to sit with someone who has given 20 years to this work full-time was awesome. I will continue to correspond with him and keep in touch, what a great meeting.

Both of these have stirred thoughts about where God will have us when I finish school next May. We have been talking about it and praying for discernment. Many see youth ministry as a stepping stone to the pulpit, others see seminary as a stepping stone to a "big" church and a payday. My heart is to be where He wants us and make sure that we are obedient to His call and leading. I have no idea of where that may be but I'm excited to see where and what that ministry is!

God has placed a deep love for His Word and Bride (the church) in my heart and getting to serve Him through each is a passion! He is using this time here at school (though it is difficult academically along with being away from full-time staff work) in great ways in my life and I'm looking forward to His continued shaping and molding this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment