Friday, September 18, 2009

Stan's Retirement



In life God grants the opportunity to meet great friends and then live both along side them and from a distance. I've been granted that with my friend Stan Frazier and his family (Kim and Zach). Stan called a couple of months ago and asked if I could be involved with his retirement ceremony from the United States Air Force. I readily agreed.

Stan flew me out to Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I arrived yesterday and the ceremony was this afternoon. I've been to a number of USAF retirement ceremonies, as we once served at a church directly across the street from Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, SC, but this one was the best.

The ceremony started with a flag folding that was amazing. I had chills going down my spine as the flag was folded and then folded again to narration with a video playing in the background. I then expressed my thanks to Stan for the privilege and honor of being there today and delivered the invocation, I almost didn't make it as I looked at Stan and Kim and a flood of emotion come falshing back to mind of the ten years of friendship we've had. Then a former commander of Stan's, who drove in especially for the ceremony stood while Stan was in a chair and recalled Stan's achievements during his enlistment. Col. Banks then asked Stan to stand and had him recite his oath of enlistment in the past tense (this was touching and there were few dry eyes). Following this he was presented with numerous awards.

Kim and Zach then joined him on stage and each was presented with a certificate of achievement. I cried through the entire ceremony. Watching Stan recite his oath of enlistment and break down then watching as Kim and Zach were presented their certificates was amazing.

Today was a distinct honor and blessing. This is some thing that I will not forget. Thank you Stan for the privilege of being here with you as you celebrate this huge milestone in life! Thank you Jill for your sacrifice and graciousness in making this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment